Skip to main content

#Edchat Discussion - Politics, Religions & Education

I participated in an interesting #edchat this past Tuesday, as I try to do every Tuesday at noon (Eastern time) if it fits into my schedule.  The topic for this hour long chat was:
Education should reflect culture of the country, but do politics and religion have too much influence in American education?
My immediate reaction and response was yes, religion and politics have way too much influence in  American education. Two prime examples are the current hot-button issues of The Common Core Standards and whether the word "God" should be included in the Pledge of Allegiance. Here are my personal opinions on both:

  1. "God" in schools/Pledge of Allegiance - 
    • First of all, God was not included in the original pledge, written by Francis Bellamy in 1892. "under God" was added in 1954 in response to the Communist threat of the times
    • But, regardless of when "under God" was added, this is just a political & religious ploy to get everyone up in arms over nothing. In all honesty, the pledge, with "under God" included is said in most schools to this day - I travel all over the country and have yet to be in a school where this is taken out. I am sure there are probably some, but I have yet to be in one. 
    • Whether the words are there are not, most schools (public) give the option for students to say the words. In all the schools I taught in, it was respectful to stand, but you didn't have to say the words.  Same with those moments of silence - which students could do anything they want - pray, think about the upcoming math test, worry about the football game, etc. Let's move on and get to learning!
    • Public schools should be about educating all students, regardless of their religion - its America after all, and we have a mix of everything. This continued push, mostly from the religious right/Christians, is an example of too much religion influencing public, state-run education system, and there should be a separation of church and state. 
  2. The Common Core Standards
    • If you haven't read my previous postings regarding the Common Core Standards, suffice it to say I am a big fan. The fact that there is now a huge push from many politicians, particularly those running for President, to do away with the Common Core is a clear example of too much politics influencing education
    • First - The Common Core State Standards were NOT an Obama or Federal initiative, and have nothing to do with No Child Left Behind, despite so many politicians on the right blaming the Obama and Federal Government/administration. It was a state-led initiative, with teachers and education experts and state leaders developing standards, based on research.
    • Second - The Common Core is NOT a curriculum, so it does NOT define what states, schools and teachers teach. Rather it is a set of goals demonstrate the skills and understandings students need to be successful. How these goals are taught and reached are determined by the individual school districts within each state. 
    • What I see are politicians and media stories that are full of inaccuracies about The Common Core, that are then used to fuel the fear of parents about what their students are learning, fuel the fear of teachers worried about standardized test scores and their jobs, and used to basically halt any change in the education system and bring us back to where we started - nowhere. Yes - definitely too much politics in education!
So - religion and politics are too much of an influence in our education system, in my opinion. Unfortunately - I have no answers on how to make this stop. As my examples show, politics and religion regularly influence American education and unfortunately, are part of the reason there is so little change in the educational system. We are stagnating and our students are suffering and it needs to change. I wish I knew how because the small pockets of change and innovation I do see do not seem to be enough to become systemic. If I knew what it took, I'd be a rich woman and schools would be teaching and students would be learning. In the #edchat discussion, the idea of revolution came up - Dr. Mark Weston sent me a link to his thoughts on that - great read. Like Mark, I want to revamp the whole system. Guess I will keep looking for ways to do so...if you have ideas, let me know. I've thought about becoming Secretary of Education, but then I think politics would make it impossible to really do anything, right?!! It's a catch 22.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Implementation Dip - It's Not Just Test Scores, It's Any Change

I read this article yesterday by Andrew Ujifusa entitled New Tests Put States on Hot Seat as Scores Plunge . Basically, states that have implemented new standardized tests to address revised academic standards, such as the Common Core State Standards, have seen a drop in student scores, so panic has ensued. What I want to know is: has no one ever heard about the implementation dip? Whenever you try to implement something new, there is going to be a period of adjustment, scores will go down if we are talking tests, classroom behaviors will change and achievement will go down if new teaching strategies are being implemented - in short, any time you try something new, it is NOT going to go exactly as planned!  Mistakes will happen, things will be bad before they get better - it's part of the whole change process.  Which is why we need to be implementing changes slowly, early, and over time so that things that go wrong can be adjusted. Image from images.google.com What is th

Social Media's Impact on Personal Life - Personal Reflections

The question - does social media impact personal life? The answer - yes.  Is that a good thing or a bad thing? The answer - it depends. I have been on vacation the past week or so and am currently on personal leave to finish writing my dissertation proposal (which, as you can see, I am procrastinating!) During my vacation, I swore I would take a break from blogging, Twitter, email, and all things electronic. I lied. I admit - I did honestly make the attempt and in fact, did not turn on my computer one time.  However, the iPad is a constant companion, especially since the books I am reading (currently, the Game of Thrones series) are on there, so I had the iPad with me a lot - even on the beach.  It was very easy to check if I had emails, to check out my Facebook or to send a Twitter or two.  Long story short, I failed miserably at the disconnecting aspect. View from chair and under canopy! Which brings me back to the question of does social media impact personal life? The o

Lecture, Direct-Instruction or Talk - There's the Confusion!

In yesterday's weekly #edchat Twitter collaboration the discussion focused on the flipped classroom, where, naturally, there was quite a bit of debate around the idea of video lectures. What became apparent was the many different interpretations of the term 'lecture'. This came to the forefront for me when I offered up the idea of TED Talks as one option for learning rather than a teacher's video lecture, and someone said "TED talks are just lectures, so how is that better?" This stumped me as I have never thought of a TED talk as a lecture, which is funny, because now, forced to think about it, I guess they could be construed as lectures, depending on your definition. Which of course has led me to this post!  Obviously, my perception of a lecture is not the same as others. What is MY definition of a lecture? Perhaps it's my many years of being both a student and a teacher, but for me a 'lecture' has rather negative connotations, as I envisio